In this article we have provided Critical analysis of NCERT social science textbook Class 6.
- Critical Analysis of Social Science Textbook of Class 10
- Critical Analysis of Syllabus and Textbook for B.Ed
- Critical Analysis of NCERT Political Science Textbook of Class 12
Textbook analysis is the systematic analysis of the text materials including the structure, the focus and special learning assets.
Here the pupil-teacher have to take one NCERT textbook and have to take one or two chapter/content and have to analyze the book.
Analysis of NCERT textbook is one of the important component of pre-internship phase. During the orientation or workshop phrase there was a session on criteria for textbook analysis wherein we were taught various criteria based on which we can analysis a textbook.
Once the session was over, we were asked to make a report on textbook analysis and analysis a NCERT textbook based on different criteria explained during the session.
we have been assigned to analysis of 2 chapter from NCERT textbook based on different criteria, so for this we have selected class VI Political textbook, for our textbook analysis.
We analyzed the book on the basis of it physical features, reliability of price, suitability of contents according to age group of class six students. Besides I also took a chapter for analysis. The chapter was ‘ Panchayati Raj’.
First I read the contents under the chapter and tried to go deeper to find out the meanings, connect the examples with the content, connect the title of the chapter with the content, analyze whether the language was easy for the children or not, whether the content was relevant or not and whether the evaluation part follow principle of simple to complex or not.
From this analysis I came to know that textbook analysis is a means by which we will able to identify the positive and negative features and effectiveness of a textbook can be established. From this I learned process to analyze textbook and the importance of analysis of a book.
From the analysis of textbook I came to know about different aspects of the textbook as well as different positive and negative aspects, which I have tried to explain in brief below-
TITLE OF THE BOOK- Social and Political Life- I
EDITION- First Edition: February 2006 Phalguna 1927
December 2006 Pausa 1928
December 2007 Pausa 1929
December 2009 Agrahayana 1931
January 2011 Magha 1932
February 2012 Phalguna 1933
November 2012 Kartika 1934
November 2013 Kartika 1935
January 2015 Magha 1936
January 2017 Magha 1938
January 2018 Magha 1939
February 2019 Magha 1940
PUBLISHER- National Council of Educational Research and Training, 2006
PLACE OF PUBLICATION: Published at the Publication Division by the Secretary, National Council of Educational Research and Training, Sri Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi 110 016 and printed at Sagar Offset Printer India (P.) Ltd., 518, Ecotech III, Udyog Kendra II, G.B. Nagar, Greater Noida (U.P.)
Critical analysis of NCERT social science textbook Class 6-
THEME– This textbook will help the students to brush up their basic concept of the social and political life of India. The students will be able to know the meaning or concept about government, equality, liberty, justice, freedom, unity, panchayati system
PHYSICAL FEATURE OF THE BOOK-
- This book is very light to carry and easy to handle by the students.
- The pictures which have used in this book are relevant.
- The language of this book is very easy and simple which are understandable by the students.
- The coloring pictures have been presented.
- The cover page of this book is clear for the students and colorful.
- The sentences of this book are suitable for the students.
- The quality of the cover page is good.
- The book contains 9 chapters.
- The book contains 80 pages and the pages are of good quality.
SUITABILITY TO THE –
Age group: – The target students for this book are of class VI. The age of the students should fall between 10 to 12. The book is suitable for the students. According to their age the number of pictures is suitable.
Relevance– According to their age of the students the contents of this book are all relevant.
Analysis of the chapter: Panchayati Raj
- Title: – The title “Panchayati Raj” is suitable for the whole chapter of the book. It is clearly and easily understandable by the teacher or students what the chapter will deal with. Under this heading “Panchayati Raj” the whole chapter is describing the Panchayati Raj system is going on at the local or village level.
- Sub-Contents:- The main content “Panchayati Raj” is break down into various sub-content such as- Gram Sabha, the Gram Panchayat and three levels of Panchayat and all the sub-contents are systematically arranged from simple to complex.
The chapter begins with its first sub-content ‘Gram Sabha’ which is the very first level in Panchayat system. Here the chapter explain what is Gram Sabha, how gram sabha is form, who are the members of gram sabha etc. Its helps the children to get a basic understanding about the first level of panchayati system. It also discuss how in gram sabha discussion is going on regarding the various issues, problems of the village, with suitable example of a village gram sabha.
Then, the discussion of the chapter goes a little bit higher from the gram sabha to the gram panchayati. Here the working of the gram panchayati about various working committees of panchayati, sources of funds for the panchayati is discussed systematically, taking the example of “Hardas Gram Panchayat”.
Then the discussion of the chapter shift from Panchayat to the three levels of panchayats. Here there is a briefly discussion about the three levels of Panchayat- the Gram Panchayati, the panchayati Samiti and the Zila Parishad. It helps the children to understand the whole Panchayati Raj system easily.
- Language: – The language used in this chapter is appropriate for the children of class VI. In most of time simple sentences and simple words are used keeping in mind the age group of the children. Regarding the use of grammar, it is seen that here basically present tense, active voice, direct speech (direct narration) are used.
- Child–Centeredness:-The content is not child centeredness. There is no activity for children to do. Content just discuss about the system. Nowhere mention about the practical activity that student can do and will experience the situation such as- attending gram sabha, visit to a panchayati etc. which gives them an opportunity of real life situation to understand the system in a better way.
- Use of Visuals: – There are total five pictures in this chapter. To some extent, the pictures supports the content, through it cannot be said that these are clear enough for the student to understand the panchayati system. The pictures that used in the chapter are not able to give a clear message to the children about panchayati.
- Relevance of the Content:- The contents of this chapter have very much importance in our day to day life. We live in a country like India which follow democratic set of government. Thus child should must know about the various levels of government. The chapter “Panchayati Raj” provides children an overall image about local government system. It helps the children to know about the working system of local government which exist in their immediate surroundings.
- Evaluation Part: – at the end of the chapter, the questions are given from simple to complex. Besides there is also include boxes under the chapter which contain text questions. The questions are prepared on the basis of the discussion in the chapter. At end it helps the students to understand what has been discussed earlier in the chapter. It also allows the student to recall and make connections with what has been taught earlier.
Analysis of Another Chapter-
Title of the chapter: “Understanding Diversity”
Theme of the chapter:
Theme of this chapter bears the concept of diversity .the differences in race, religion, caste etc. are known as diversity. India is where solidarity and decent verity go as one. People are different from each other in many ways .not only they in look different but they might also belong to different regional, cultural or religious backgrounds. These differences enrich our lives in many ways and also make them more fun.
Representation of the content matter:
The title of the chapter clearly represents the whole content that is in the chapter. This chapter bears the concept that people are different from each other in many ways. Not only in terms of look but also they might belong to different religion, culture or religious background. So we can say that the title “Understanding Diversity” is appropriate for the chapter which represents the content matter.
Arrangement of the sub-content:
The sub- content of this chapter is sequentially arranged keeping in mind the maxims of teaching like simple to complex, known to unknown, concrete to abstract etc. For example at first the chapter introduces the general concept of diversity than it explains about the diversity shown in India and then moving towards its parts.
Practical utility of the chapter:
Every chapter has the aim of connecting students with their practical life. This chapter is related to the actual life and needs of the children for whom it is being written. For example – after reading this chapter students will be able to understand that what diversity adds to our lives.
Relation with present context :
The concept of this chapter based on up- to- date knowledge and it has a relation with present context. Every classroom is form with various cultural students and so understanding of unity in diversity is important for students every time.
As language is one of the basic sources of transformation of information, knowledge, ideas from one person to the other, so it is important that the language used in the textbook be proper, up to the mark, and according to the chronological age of the students.
From our analysis it can be said that the language used in the textbook is easily understandable to the students, and is according to the chronological age, moreover it is also seen that the language used do not focus on a particular gender, there is no gender difference indicated in the textbook, not only this the textbook also helps in the vocabulary development of the students.
The chapter includes some exercises on the back of the chapter to make the students evaluate formatively after reading the chapter. The exercises which are included here support the all three domains of learning i.e. cognitive, affective and psycho- motor.
The questions are don’t able to cover the all kind of question as it doesn’t include short answers questions. Mostly the questions are based on analysis and understanding. The questions will promote continuous comprehensive evaluate. We think that teacher should give this activity as homework to the students.
Teacher can also engaged them in field work, excursion, etc. Teacher can also use audio visual aids, different pictures. It helps the student to develop knowledge and observation quality. It will also help in the development of social skills
Child centeredness :
Child centeredness is on the basic aspect of teaching learning process. As the child is the focus point in a teaching learning process, therefore a textbook should always be child centric.
Based on our analysis we can say that the textbook is full of activities which provide students an opportunity to go beyond textbook, which will help a wider knowledge and experience about the topic, not only this the language used in the textbook is according to the chronological age of the students.
Moreover the textbook is prepared in a way that it creates curiosity among the students to ask questions or explore more about the topic.
Visuals indicate the pictures, diagram, graphs, maps etc included in the textbook in order to make teaching learning interesting.
From our analysis of the text it can be said that the textbook is colorful enough to attract the attention of the students, if we consider the cover page of the book it is seen that it is colorful with picture that directly relates the name of the books, for example, the pictures or cartoon reading on the chapter resources clearly indicates the content to be taught and attract students easily as it is colorful and explained with the help of dialogue.
Assessment is an at most important aspect of a teaching learning process. Assessment is the process of assessing students learning as well as work as a feedback for teachers in order to reframe their teaching style.
For assessment the textbook we analyzedbasically uses different types of activities and question, it includes, MCQ, short answer type, question that foster brain storming or critical thinking.
Inclusiveness in learning :
This chapter included all the learners needs and interests. In all classroom student’s needs and interests are different from each other and so it has to be kept in mind while preparing a chapter that the chapter can include all the learners need and interests inclusively. This chapter is free for every student as it maintains the nature of inclusiveness.
Activity given in the textbook:
Regarding textbook activities, the textbook are given only simple activities like – full up the list of question, create list of any problem regarding unit topic. Also activities which are basically related with the list of question which is created by student solved by family member or society member.
There are lacks of ICT used in this “NCERT” textbook. Also less used of practicality and also there are no time details according to the activities. But we can say that the activities of that “NCERT” textbook are well structured, all are link with the content.
Suggestion of the activity :
- Unit -1 regarding diversity we can organize the quizzes on a set theme like how much students know about different culture, religions, disabilities.
Thus, these are certain analysis I made on my review of NCERT textbook of class VI (Political Science). Though I was able to analysis the book based on different aspects and element yet, I faced certain challenges while analysis the textbook.
Moreover analysis of NCERT textbook is that easy because NCERT textbook are prepared keeping in mind all the criteria and guidelines. Despite this all we are given limited time period for analysis and for quality analysis time should be provided.